Thursday, June 14, 2007

Integrating Science and Soul presentation

What are some key ways that we can integrate science and soul in education?

Here is a PowerPoint presentation, with narration, that I have put together for the CONASTA / ICASE conference in July in Perth.

In Part 1 I introduce some key ideas from my thesis and provide some conceptual frameworks using lenses from Integral Theory. I try to show how engaging soul can be an integral part of curriculum design.

In Part 2 I look at a current concern of science educators - sustainability. How might we help to develop ethical and responsible citizens for sustainable futures? What does it mean to develop ethics in science and what can we learn from taking a holistic approach to this?

The presentations take about 30 mins in total.

Part 1:


Part 2:





3 comments:

inspired said...

Sue,

I have just looked at and listened to your inspirational presentations on science and soul. At a time when the secondary curriculum in England is changing and people are looking for connections from various subject areas to illustrate the process of learning and linking learning- your presentation will help people to look beneath the surface and make vital links.. As an RE advisor I have found your thought provoking and beautiful presentation, relevant and enriching. With your permission, I would like to show it to educators here to inspire them to develop cross curricular approaches that take account of spirituality and soul in all areas of education. Thank you again for your excellent work and also for the succinct chapter on spirituality in education. I love the processes you allude to on work carried out by you and your students and the way you show that learning and linking learning is endless and that we can all be soulful and reflective practioners. Your students are buzzing with ideas and moments of revelation, portrayed sensitively in their work. Through you and your excellent teaching and learning techniques, they are finding their own voices and connections. Thank you again. I too love learning, am passionate about it and have been for a lifetime, and about spirituality in education.

inspired said...

Thank you Sue. Your deserve praise and a compliment for your inspired work and presentation.

Unknown said...

Sue,
Nicely done.
I tried emailing you with further questions but had no luck with a response. Hope all is well and if you can please send me a brief email message, so I can ask a few more things.
best
tim m