Friday, June 15, 2007

Oops, I forgot the unfoldment of the soul!

I have just spent a little while putting together a presentation for science teachers about how to integrate soul in science (see previous post) and I think I have completely forgotten to say a key aspect of a soulful education.....unfoldment (sue bangs her head!)

I looked at how science might help develop the individual - creating wise, ethical beings who are able to create sustainable futures - and how teachers can be more mindful of the different development lines that contribute to this, seeing ethics as founded on a much wider base than engaging in ethical discussion. E.g. ethics comes from a development of caring, aesthetics, connection, cognition, foresight, spiritual practice, self-understanding as well as values and ethical dilemmas and actions.



But the very notion of developing "ethical and wise beings" is based on an assumption that education is about "developing". What about the unique unfolding of the individual? What is the difference between education which might "lead out" and education which aims to "develop"? Do I have what an ethical/wise being looks like in mind when I say this? Is there a fixed endpoint?

I think I would like to value-add science by showing how it can be involved in development of the whole child as well as just teaching "stuff", skills or thinking capacities. But as soon as I try to construct logical arguments that can fit within a 30 minute power point presentation for a specific audience a whole lot of bigger issues slide out of view. The very use of graphical organizers puts us into a certain headspace, and leads to perhaps unwarranted assumptions of learning, evolving and the nature of what it means to be human, despite my intentions of addressing just these concerns! Hmmmm.

I guess that is why my thesis is 180,000 words (about twice the size of a normal one) - I needed that many words to second guess myself all the time!

So I would be really interested in people's comments on the presentations - how might they lead into possibilities as well as corral thinking in limited ways?

No comments: